Luis Hernandez offers an array of professional development workshops, both online and on-campus. His workshops will equip elementary school teachers with an array of resources and content, designed to complement their lessons. Luis specializes in providing educators in a bilingual classroom setting with the educational tools they need to help their students achieve academic success! These educators’ workshops also provide teachers with a wonderful opportunity to share their experiences and exchange ideas and information. Attendees are invited to join Enabling Leaning’s professional learning community.
STRATEGIES FOR EXPONENTIAL SUCCESS WITH ELLs
This full-day workshop will provide you with practical activities and materials based on neuroscience, metacognition, and active learning in order to help ALL students be successful in each content area! Participants will learn how to:
- Generate an inquisitive and explorative classroom culture through activities promoting higher-order thinking across the curriculum;
- Use culturally-relevant activities and build meaningful and engaging lessons around students’ experiences;
- Help students create and maintain interactive notebooks that develop visual literacy, make connections, build vocabulary, and improve retention;
- Implement gamification principles to energize learning, improve study skills, and increase vocabulary while assessing comprehension;
- Take advantage of FREE multiplatform technologies that promote creative problem-solving and vocabulary acquisition;
- Employ research-based strategies to help students succeed on the STAAR test!
TEKS-BASED GAMES FOR CORE SUBJECTS WITH ELLs
The Power of Playful Learning – TEKS-Based Games for Core Subjects with ELLs
This full-day workshop provides educators with the necessary skills to implement TEKS-based games in order to energize learning of math, reading and science while increasing vocabulary, improving study skills, and assessing comprehension. Participants will learn how to:
- Distinguish between play and gamification in the classroom;
- Use games for differentiated instruction;
- Create and use games to enhance logical and mathematical thinking;
- Create and use games to increase new vocabulary and retention;
- Create and use games to develop visual literacy skills and scientific knowledge;
- Take advantage of FREE multiplatform technologies that promote playful learning.
SUCCESSFUL SCIENCE INSTRUCTION IN THE ELEMENTARY CLASSROOM
The Art of Science Learning – Successful Science Instruction in the Elementary Classroom
This workshop provides teachers with strategies and practical classroom activities that will help English Language Learners be successful in science. It focuses on the implementation of visual literacy, vocabulary development activities, and interactive notebooks. Participants will learn how to:
- Focus classroom instruction on key TEKS objectives that will help students succeed on the science STAAR test;
- Help students create and maintain an interactive science notebook to make connections between concepts in order to build new vocabulary, while also improving comprehension and retention;
- Facilitate the use of sketching, labeling and coloring as forms of note-taking;
- Conduct scientific experiments that spark curiosity, promote higher-order of thinking, and guarantee scientific rigor;
- Create meaningful classroom activities to energize learning and help students develop new scientific vocabulary;
- Take advantage of FREE multiplatform technologies that promote creative problem-solving and scientific vocabulary acquisition.