Luis Hernandez offers an array of professional development workshops, both online and on-campus. His workshops will equip elementary school teachers with an array of resources and content, designed to complement their lessons. Luis specializes in providing educators in a bilingual classroom setting with the educational tools they need to help their students achieve academic success!
STRATEGIES FOR EXPONENTIAL SUCCESS WITH ELLs
This workshop will provide you with practical activities and materials based on neuroscience, metacognition, and active learning in order to help ALL students be successful in each content area! Participants will learn how to:
- Generate an inquisitive and explorative classroom culture through activities promoting higher-order thinking across the curriculum;
- Use culturally-relevant activities and build meaningful and engaging lessons around students’ experiences;
- Help students create and maintain interactive notebooks that develop visual literacy, make connections, build vocabulary, and improve retention;
- Implement gamification principles to energize learning, improve study skills, and increase vocabulary while assessing comprehension;
- Take advantage of FREE multi-platform technologies that promote creative problem-solving and vocabulary acquisition;
- Employ research-based strategies to help students succeed on the STAAR test!
TEKS-BASED GAMES FOR VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT WITH ELLs
This workshop provides educators with the necessary skills to implement TEKS-based games designed to energize learning of new vocabulary in Math and Science. Participants will learn how to:
- Distinguish between play and gamification in the classroom;
- Use games to differentiate instruction;
- Design games to develop new vocabulary and improve retention;
- Implement games to enhance logical-mathematical thinking and scientific knowledge;
- Take advantage of FREE multi-platform technologies that promote playful learning of STEM subjects.
SUCCESSFUL SCIENCE INSTRUCTION WITH ELLs
This workshop provides teachers with strategies and practical classroom activities that will help English Language Learners be successful in science. It focuses on the implementation of visual literacy, vocabulary development activities, and interactive notebooks. Participants will learn how to:
- Focus classroom instruction on key TEKS objectives that will help students succeed on the science STAAR test;
- Help students create and maintain an interactive science notebook to make connections between concepts in order to build new vocabulary, while also improving comprehension and retention;
- Facilitate the use of sketching, labeling, and coloring as forms of note-taking;
- Conduct scientific experiments that spark curiosity, promote higher-order of thinking, and guarantee scientific rigor;
- Create meaningful classroom activities to energize learning and help students develop new scientific vocabulary;
- Take advantage of FREE multi-platform technologies that promote creative problem-solving and scientific vocabulary acquisition.